Brake upgrade - how much is too much?

Suspension; Gearbox, Clutch and Driveshafts; Brakes; Steering; Throttle and clutch cable issues

Moderator:Scirocco Register

Forum rules
Hints, tips and guides for repair and modification - the FAQ section on the main website is worth checking first for information relating to common faults and technical help. Useful posts and guides will be added to the FAQ http://www.sciroccoregister.co.uk/scirocco-faq
Junglist
fill in the right answer:10
Brake upgrade - how much is too much?

Post by Junglist » Fri Apr 03, 2009 12:31 am

I've just offered £100 for some used G60 style calipers with carriers (no pads). These are the American version - apparrently much better and more reliable. Not prone to seizing as the seller claims euro ones are. Have I offered too much? If he turns this offer down, should I offer more? Ta.

Tornado GTII: Koni, Flo-flex, Girling, Weber, K&N, Powerflow, Goodridge, ASA, Yokohama... to fit: stainless 4 branch.
ImageImage

Slugga

Re: Brake upgrade - how much is too much?

Post by Slugga » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:24 am

I have not heard of USA versions being less prone to seizing? Someone else may advise but it sounds like you might have been spun a yarn by the seller.....

A complete 2nd hand setup of calipers, carriers, discs and pads would set you back around 150-200 quid ish.

Its not often that just calipers and carriers come up for sale and when they do, around the £100 mark give or take, depending on condition is about right.

Have a look on ebay, edition 38, club gti etc and research some of the asking prices and see which sets have sold to give you an idea of the going rate. :)

Junglist

Post by Junglist » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:46 am

Have been doing. G60's going for 70 to 100 (calipers with carriers) so these seem good for 100 - he really sounds like he knows what he's on about with this stuff. Not just better in terms of seizing, but generally. Doesn't seem like bullshit to me. I'll not offer more than £100. We'll see what he says. He's got another set the same on ebay. At £21 at moment but I reckon they'll go for over £100 by the end.

Tornado GTII: Koni, Flo-flex, Girling, Weber, K&N, Powerflow, Goodridge, ASA, Yokohama... to fit: stainless 4 branch.
ImageImage

Mr Funk

Post by Mr Funk » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:16 pm

You'll till need the carriers, discs and pads. As previously said though I'd also upgrade the line and possible the master cylinder/servo

Head of Complaints - Big Pie Cartel
If it sounds like it's naughty, it probably is.

Nate

Post by Nate » Fri Apr 03, 2009 8:47 pm

considered getting rid of the linkage that goes accross to the master cylinder, and replacing it with the one from a fiesta? it's a side to side bar that rotates, as opposed to the crazy pushmepullyou arrangement. seen it done on a couple of mk1s. probably wouldn't be *that* much work...

Check out my photostream on Flickr
'69 bay, '79 bay, '74 bug, '78 GLS, '91 GT2, '10 SAAB 9-3

Junglist

Post by Junglist » Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:50 pm

This guy's gone weird now. Offered him £100, he said "no way, they cost me £580". What? Who spends £580 on calipers?

ImageImage

Mr Funk

Post by Mr Funk » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:16 am

Leave him to it then.
Try a couple of scrappies, you should be able to get all the parts you need eventually. Just may take some time.

Head of Complaints - Big Pie Cartel
If it sounds like it's naughty, it probably is.

Junglist

Post by Junglist » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:38 am

Found some mk3 golf vr6 ones off a 1997 model. Are they the same? Says 288mm, but my g60 discs are 280mm. Doesn't state brand (girling, lucas etc.). They come with carriers. Anyone?

ImageImage

tre111

Post by tre111 » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:43 am

even when you buy g60 or similar callipers and carriers you should double check that they come with conversion plates so that they can be fitted to your scirocco as mk2 hubs are different

Junglist

Post by Junglist » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:42 am

Apparrentlu they offset's different and I'd have to get different discs. Also thet're 5 stud and II'd have to re-drill them. Shame, they're only £50, calipers AND carriers AND hoses.

ImageImage